Author Topic: DON'T HAVE THE $$ FOR A HAND-CRAFTED E-PIPE?  (Read 261 times)

Offline MickD

• Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Aussie E piper Channel
  • Liked: 149
  • Likes Given: 188
DON'T HAVE THE $$ FOR A HAND-CRAFTED E-PIPE?
« on: August 12, 2017, 05:24:30 AM »
I remember when I first stumbled onto this forum many months ago.  I was new to vaping and very new to epipes. Anyway, I did not have the cash for one of the pipes that the various vendors on here sell.  You see, a few hundred dollars seemed a bit of an indulgence when there were many mass-produced pipes out there such as the H610/Kamry K1000, the Pipe618 etc etc.

I decided I would stick with the cheaper pipes.  The Pipe 618 I bought lasted probably three weeks.  The H610 which was given to me lasted probably 4 or 5 weeks.  The cheap tanks tended to leak.  I bought a Petersham Pipes Ayrshire which still works months down the track  but cannot be used with any other tanks other than what came with it as it could stuff the electrics.

I eventually bit the bullet and bought me a great, hand-crafted e pipe.  A few months later I bought me another.  Not because the first one stopped working, but because it was so good, I wanted to have another.

Well tonight I actually played with excel and did a spreadsheet of my vaping purchases these last 9 months.  It worked out that I had wasted $300 on inferior mass-produced pipes and the various things that go with them (cheap tanks, cheap batteries, that sort of thing).

So if you are reading this as a newbie, and you are wondering whether a couple of hundred dollars on a pipe is a bit of an indulgence, I am here to show you that spending a few hundred dollars on a properly crafted epipe (from any of the vendors on here for example) is not actually (just) an indulgence.  It's an INVESTMENT!

So if you would like to know now at YOUR beginning what I now know 9 months and $300 wasted down the track:

1. Look to the vendors on here. 
2. Spend money on a serious epipe.
3. Invest in a couple of good tanks like the Nautilus 2 or similar ($35 AUD)
4. Buy a couple of good quality nipple-top batteries
5. And if that seems expensive, think about how much tobacco smoking used to cost you per month and you will see that less than a month's worth of tobacco expenditure will set you up long term in e-piping.

Offline Raywyn

• Global Moderator
  • Aficianado
  • ~◆ To Err is human...to Arrrr is pirate ◆~
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13762
  • Likes Given: 6526
Re: DON'T HAVE THE $$ FOR A HAND-CRAFTED E-PIPE?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
Very, Very Well said!
I actually did this 'investment' 3.9 years ago . I went from my first vape (joytech ecab) to a Proper, Serious epipe (Underwood Mods pipe).

Never, ever looked back 8)
  • 'The Bouncin' Jackal' aka 'The Donk Dazzler' aka 'The Velvet Tongue'... SHIELDMAIDEN OF THE SACRED NAME

PipeSmith: 7 -'Jade Skywalker' 'Lost' 'Ella' 'Pipe' 'Stumpy' 'Sal Paradise' 'The Tate'◆  EPipeMods: 3- 'Tiff' 'Mrs Fiderer' 'The Wiz' ▪
The Pipe revolution: 5 - Aristocob, Eli, 'J.Hachette', 'Gemela' , 'Butz Wagner' ◆
Underwood Mods: 2 -  'Gravenstein' 'Ruptura' ◆
Tobacco Road creations: 3 - 'Gwaihir' 'Roc's Talon' 'as-yet-unNamed Talon'  ◆  PumaPipe: 2- 'Anubis' 'BirdPipe' ◆
PCwoodmods: 'Metropolis'  ◆  VaVa pipes:  'Julie' ◆ Steve Johnson: 'Isabella' ▪ Springfield Pipes : Zulu ▪ Lotech Mods: BoxPipe

Offline Fear

• Administrator
  • Aficianado
  • Vooping Furiously
    • View Profile
    • You are Here!
  • Liked: 9406
  • Likes Given: 9758
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 09:02:30 PM »
I was having this discussion with someone the other day, they were also trying to convince me that clones are a good buy  ::)

Anyways. If you look at what you would spend on cheap shit, the expensive stuff does not look so bad. At the same time there is a good bit of really expensive stuff out there with little to no support down the road and as well with design/quality/durability problems. The key with any of it is to do your homework on any purchase.

For example, I have a good many "high end" squonkers. I thought I had been researching and buying wisely. I have a total of 12 here that are between 200$ and 450$ that have had chip, battery connection or 510 issues that needed fixing in the last year. 5 of them are completely dead needing new chips.
I have three China Squonkers that I paid less than 45$ for each one. One I have beat the shit out of daily for 8 months, takes frequent trips to the concrete, been thrown against tile, concrete and down a road base driveway by a toddler. I finally killed it day before yesterday. Dropped it from a ladder to the concrete and compressed the 510 spring. Took me about 20 minutes to repair. I will be buying another for when I kill it.

It's all relative, research and spend wisely :) I will say that I have yet to see a quality dependable chinese epipe.
My auto updating pipe database:

*Error* Pipes are attempting to auto populate at an ALARMING rate.
*Collection in flux currently*

Quote from: Groucho Marx
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too hard to read."

Offline oldtom

• Zealot
  • "your going home in the back of a divvy van"
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4042
  • Likes Given: 2791
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 10:05:36 PM »
...my 2 cents...i agree with @MickD...and with @Fear...but I like to do my research..also...rarely ever buy on the first drop off the  "latest and greatest"...but...i have been bitten.

I will always go back to makers I trust,or whom i have a good chat with...

Forums like this give you an unbiased view on what is available,unlike facebook,which is essentially an advertising medium..

But the truism remains..."you gets wots you pay for"...
  • Count Vapeula aka The Puma Hunter aka 'Spunkmuffin'

Stuffs.....

Offline Padre Jose

• Admirer
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 07:06:12 AM »
Well said. Only wish I had known about this site before I rushed into the market. I enjoy my 618 but it was way too overpriced for what you get.

My pipesmith with some mid level tanks was only slightly more expensive and will probably last much longer.