Author Topic: Questions about concentrations  (Read 71 times)

Offline Padre Jose

• Admirer
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Questions about concentrations
« on: May 18, 2017, 06:31:51 AM »
Morning all,

a few days ago I was having a discussion with one of my friends about the relative addictive properties of nicotine compared to caffeine.

As part of our talk we began discussing how concentrated these chemicals are in their respective mediums (nicotine in e-juice and caffeine in coffee).

But that got me thinking. What are we really measuring when we give the nicotine amount/ value in ejuice?

Before my current job I studied biochemistry and we of course learned about concentrations. There's millions of ways to measure them but mg is not one of them. mg is a measure of weight. Unless, it is paired with something else.

For example, in the US decaffeinated is required to be between 12 and 13.4 mg per 16 ounce cup.

So does anyone know what we're actually saying when we give the nicotine level in ejuice? Is it mg per liter, per ounce, something else? I'm just interested.

thanks

Offline Fear

• Administrator
  • Aficianado
  • Vooping Furiously
    • View Profile
    • You are Here!
  • Liked: 9335
  • Likes Given: 9620
Re: Questions about concentrations
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 06:47:47 AM »
Morning all,

a few days ago I was having a discussion with one of my friends about the relative addictive properties of nicotine compared to caffeine.

As part of our talk we began discussing how concentrated these chemicals are in their respective mediums (nicotine in e-juice and caffeine in coffee).

But that got me thinking. What are we really measuring when we give the nicotine amount/ value in ejuice?

Before my current job I studied biochemistry and we of course learned about concentrations. There's millions of ways to measure them but mg is not one of them. mg is a measure of weight. Unless, it is paired with something else.

For example, in the US decaffeinated is required to be between 12 and 13.4 mg per 16 ounce cup.

So does anyone know what we're actually saying when we give the nicotine level in ejuice? Is it mg per liter, per ounce, something else? I'm just interested.

thanks

mg per mL

3mg has 90 mg in a 30mL bottle, or 3mg per mL

and there you go.

Pure nicotine liquid is almost 1000mG per mL or 999.98mg/ml The dilutions most people work with to further dilute in eliquids is 100mg/ml.
  • THE ORACLE

My auto updating pipe database:

*Error* Pipes are attempting to auto populate at an ALARMING rate.
*Collection in flux currently*

Quote from: Groucho Marx
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too hard to read."

Offline Fear

• Administrator
  • Aficianado
  • Vooping Furiously
    • View Profile
    • You are Here!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 06:57:17 AM »
I will say that most commercial juice is off the target. There is a titration method you can use to test nic content. Works well as long as the juice is not artificially colored.

I have found them to be under target in claimed nic concentrations. Consistent with using a premade target base and adding flavorings. 3mg is usually 2 mg.

Not all commerical juice but a bunch.
  • THE ORACLE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too hard to read."

Offline Padre Jose

• Admirer
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 07:31:12 AM »
I've heard that too that the values they give are fairly generic. I'm sure for everyone that's below stated value there's one that's over. Same can be said of any product.

One of my classmates worked, for a time, as an analytical chemist for a major beer company. His job was to test the concentration of alcohol per batch/ vat to assure it fell within legal range. He told horror stories about how much had to be discarded because the levels were hard to standardize.

Offline Fear

• Administrator
  • Aficianado
  • Vooping Furiously
    • View Profile
    • You are Here!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:24:25 PM »
I've heard that too that the values they give are fairly generic. I'm sure for everyone that's below stated value there's one that's over. Same can be said of any product.

One of my classmates worked, for a time, as an analytical chemist for a major beer company. His job was to test the concentration of alcohol per batch/ vat to assure it fell within legal range. He told horror stories about how much had to be discarded because the levels were hard to standardize.

I buy 100 mg/ml to use for mixing juice. I test each bottle that I get in if it is within 2-3% I dont have to adjust my recipe calculator as it comes in close to target and I mix by weight for small batches and volume for large batches.

The most consistent batches of nic for mixing for me come from Nicotine River, Liquid Barn and Heartland vapes. Either they are right on target or within 1% which might be attributed to the inaccuracy of the titration method for testing nicotine.

If you are interested in it there is a kit you can buy from Wizard Labs that comes with directions.

https://wizardlabs.us/test-kits-and-reagents/nicotine-test-kit
  • THE ORACLE