Click HERE for the DIY Section Safety Disclaimer.
You follow any directions or advice you find in this subforum at YOUR OWN RISK. ePF, it's staff, or vendors are not responsible for any injuries or damage that may occur when following DIY directions.

Author Topic: overheating atomizer?  (Read 91 times)

Offline Padre Jose

• Admirer
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
overheating atomizer?
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:06:39 PM »
Perhaps this is a very newbie question. Perhaps this isn't even the right sub-forum. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm still using my epipe 618 while I'm waiting for my next gen pipe to come in. Today, I was getting tired of the standard juices that I was using so I decided to use a NET variety that someone had given me to try. It was Patriot from Good ejuice. There was just enough in the bottle to fill my tank.

I filled the tank like normal (this is the default atomizer that came from china). At first it worked great and the flavor was awesome. But I noticed that very quickly the whole tank became very hot to the touch.

I wasn't taking puffs any quicker than normal. Nor was I taking any longer pulls. So I checked the body of the pipe (and the battery) for heat just to make sure it wasn't an electrical problem. Everything else was working fine and felt normal. The only thing was that the atomizer and tank remained very high temperature. So I stopped vaping and put  the pipe away hoping it will cool down.

Is this something that happens when you're using a heavier liquid or is this the result of some defect in the atomizer I was using? Or was it just user error?

Hopefully, I won't be using this setup for much longer. I'm hoping to leave it at my day off location as my back-up. But I want to make sure if I caused the problem I won't do it again in the future.

Thanks in advance for any responses. And thanks too for having patience as I slowly come to understand all the different factors involved with using these things.

Offline pyro

• Zealot
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5994
  • Likes Given: 5527
Re: overheating atomizer?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:56:31 AM »
the only thing i could think of is the coil got a lil crusty and it took more power to vaporize the liquid. did it take just a bit longer for the atty to make vapor? some juices will gum up a coil quickly and it has to get hotter to make vapor. padre was it you asking about cherry just before the forum went down? if so you need to send that pm with your address again as it was lost in the mess. if not i'll keep looking for who it was.
  • The Great Giver of Things aka 'Waldorf'

pipes will get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no pipes

Offline Padre Jose

• Admirer
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:05:41 AM »
Yeah, that was me asking about the cherry juice. I'll send the PM again this evening after work.

And you were right on with your answer.

After the atomizer cooled down the next day I decided to take apart what I could and see what it looked like.

Yeah, it was pretty icky on the inside. Looked like some of the juice had dried or crusted over. I can't imagine how the battery had enough power to get heat through a coil that was covered in gunk.

I guess I'll just have to be careful if I'm using NET juices on the cheap 618 parts.

Offline pyro

• Zealot
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5994
  • Likes Given: 5527
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »
hi padre, the crust and gummy material you see is the natural sugars caramelizing from the heat. the net tobaccos will be bad about this along with certain extra sweet blends. i like the tobacco flavors so i just rewick and dry burn my coils often.
  • The Great Giver of Things aka 'Waldorf'

pipes will get you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no pipes